Air pollution is a major environmental concern in Hong Kong, yet most people accept it as part of city living
and there is not much we – the general public – can do about it. The Hong Kong University of Science and Technology’s (HKUST’s) Institute for the Environment aims to change this mindset via a mobile app, that –
Empowers the Public with Personalised Air Quality Information. This app will be based on our new system we are building – Personalised Real-Time Air Quality Informatics System for Exposure – Hong Kong, or PRAISE-HK, that will provide personalised and location specific air pollution data and analysis to all of us. The data will also solve key questions about our air pollution, such as the following ones, and help us effectively reduce our exposure to its harmful effects.
- Among different kinds of toxic air pollutants, which ones you are sensitive to, and where are they come from?
- Where do you get the largest does of air pollution everyday – at home, in the office, at school, on the street or on public transport?
- Is it really helpful for your kids to stay indoors when the air quality is bad outside?
- What is the difference in my pollution intake between different commuting routes?
- Which street around your home and office has better/worse air quality?
- What is the most effective way to reduce your overall exposure?
- How does outdoor air pollution affect indoor air quality?
By combining state-of-the-art technologies, air quality modelling system, big data, exposure science and more, PRAISE-HK provides Hong Kong people with real-time air quality reports at the neighbourhood and street level. By cutting our exposure to polluted air, this app guides our health choices; this is how science helps us make practical decisions that can significantly impact our lives.
Since pollution concentration varies with location and time of day, the app is capable of informing residents when and where the pollution occurs, and provides cleaner routes to avoid exposure. PRAISE-HK also creates personalised alerts, allowing users to plan future activities during low-risk times.
PRAISE-HK IN 3 PHASES:
- Phase 1 (2018) – PRAISE-AQ. Users can zoom in a map and see outdoor air quality and the associated health risks on a street-by-street level resolution, letting us to make informed health decisions on planning our daily activities.
- Phase 2 (2019) – PRAISE-HK. This upgrade will include readings from selected indoor environments from high-rise and underground levels. The app will also be able to calculate users’ total pollutants exposure from travel history around different places. Such health-risk review enables users to identify air pollution hot-spots and plan future itineraries accordingly.
- Phase 3 (2021) – Personalised PRAISE-HK. With sufficient data in the system, users will be provided with personalised alerts and recommendations that is tailored specifically to the health condition of the individual.
PRAISE-HK BROCHURE: [Click here to download PDF file]
PROJECT SCHEMATICS: (click to enlarge)
PRAISE-HK is funded by the HSBC 150th Anniversary Charity Programme